Tuesday 28 February 2012

Hardening off the sweet peas

It might be a little early but I put out the sweet peas to harden off.  If there is a frost then I will bring them in again.  I also put out the shallots.  I need the room in the greenhouse to plant the early peas.  I will continue to plant the peas in sectioned trays, as I did successfully last year, and keep them in the greenhouse away from the mice and the pigeons.

I do not have room to put the peas in yet and I have not put up the sweet pea supports.  They are fine in their pots at the moment but I would not like to keep them like this any longer than the middle of March.

I have a lot of vegetables to prick out now.  I have started but not finished pricking out the tomatoes and leeks. There are also some cabbages, cauliflowers, lettuce and onions that are ready to be put into sectioned trays.

The Apium graveolens rapaceum and the Apium graveolens dulce have not germinated yet.  I am keeping them in the warm until they do.

I bought some New Horizons general growing medium, lime, mychorrhizal fungi, chicken manure and seeds.  I should have a fairly full allotment this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment